Do male silkies get their crowns faster?

Krystal1983

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
I have 5 silkies and one has a crown growing while the other 4 dont really seem to yet. If I remember right they are about 8 weeks. Do the males get crowns faster or is it irrelevant? They are from the same hatching date and should be same age...what do you think? This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 20210719_152730.jpg
    20210719_152730.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 55
I have 5 silkies and one has a crown growing while the other 4 dont really seem to yet. If I remember right they are about 8 weeks. Do the males get crowns faster or is it irrelevant? They are from the same hatching date and should be same age...what do you think? This is what it looks like.
Looks like a litte cockerel to me.

Male chickens always get their combs faster than the females. Usually around 8ish weeks or so... that said, silkies are usually the hardest to figure out because their combs are so similar for so long, and their male saddle feathers are so much harder to see with the silkie feather trait. They're so hard that I usually don't even comment or speculate.... LOL If he is a male, its awesome that you can tell so early!!

Male chickens always get their combs faster than the females. Usually around 8ish weeks or so... that said, silkies are usually the hardest to figure out because their combs are so similar for so long, and their male saddle feathers are so much harder to see with the silkie feather trait. They're so hard that I usually don't even comment or speculate.... LOL If he is a male, its awesome that you can tell so early!!
Yeah, Im not too sure yet. Im looking for the streamers mentioned earlier in the comments. They are actually about 8 weeks. I found my post from the day I got them and counted the weeks. Time has gone by FAST! I cant believe they are 8 weeks. Its really hard to tell! They all have bumps forming and some are more developed than others but its still hard to tell. They arent fully adult feathered yet so Im just gonna have to wait a little longer. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom