Do Masks actually work as chicken diapers?

Brahma_Mama4

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
So, I’ve seen a lot of sites online that talk about using medical masks as chickens diapers. All the pictures of chickens wearing them show the mask really tight against them. I’m wondering if they actually work because based on the pictures it looks like the poop would just get stuck in their fluff 😬 if anyone has actually tried this and can let me know that would be great, I’m mainly just curious to know.

I use children's medical masks for my chickens. I put them on upside down so the metal piece is on the bottom. The masks would be best if used as a temporary diaper, not a full time diaper. Their best use as a diaper is just in case your chicken has an accident in the house. I use them when I bring one of my hens inside my house. When I take a chicken for a ride, I put one on them with a paper towel folded up inside. That way, if the chicken has an accident, which she most likely will on a long ride, I can change the paper towel on the road. Also, the paper towel also helps observe any liquid that there might be.

As far as the poop getting stuff in their fluff, yes, it can. It doesn't always, but often it will. You will have to clean their fluff just like you would on anything else that wears a diaper. Again, the masks as diapers are for temporary cases only.

L
I use children's medical masks for my chickens. I put them on upside down so the metal piece is on the bottom. The masks would be best if used as a temporary diaper, not a full time diaper. Their best use as a diaper is just in case your chicken has an accident in the house. I use them when I bring one of my hens inside my house. When I take a chicken for a ride, I put one on them with a paper towel folded up inside. That way, if the chicken has an accident, which she most likely will on a long ride, I can change the paper towel on the road. Also, the paper towel also helps observe any liquid that there might be.

As far as the poop getting stuff in their fluff, yes, it can. It doesn't always, but often it will. You will have to clean their fluff just like you would on anything else that wears a diaper. Again, the masks as diapers are for temporary cases only.
Lacy duckwing,
What duck diaper would you recommend...cheapest that are actually easy to dress and remove with less mess.
For a full-time indoor twisted-beak challenged duck.
Thank you, TJ

L

Lacy duckwing,
What duck diaper would you recommend...cheapest that are actually easy to dress and remove with less mess.
For a full-time indoor twisted-beak challenged duck.
Thank you, TJ
I don't have ducks and haven't for years (though I do study wild ones), so I don't know anything on what diapers to get them. I'd search around online and possibly on Amazon for something that works. Petco is a far catch, but you can check there too.

Back
Top Bottom