Do meat birds need...

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
grit. I was just wondering if meat birds have to have grit, and if so when should I give it to them? My DH said that that have this lump on the side of their necks, and I just wand to make sure their crops aren't getting filled. I am sure they are though, and how do I fix it?

All birds need grit! Their crop will get full and should empty out by morning. if it is not, you could have some serious problems. If they are outside, they probably get enough little rocks, but if there is any question get some grit (it is cheap) just to be sure.

The chick starter has some grit in it. If thats all they are eating, they will be fine. My Cornish Cross are in a pen...outside..on the ground. They dust bath...peck in the dirt..and eat small blades of grass. I dont give them grit. As for the " lump" thats just a full crop...nothing to worry about. Just means they are eating well. With Cornish, thier crop will be full MOST of the time especially if you are free feeding. As they will just eat, and eat, and eat, poop, and poop, and eat some more! LOL Just make sure they have PLENTY water. Those little buggers can really go through it. I have a pen of 21....they drink about 8 gallons a day....some days even more if its slightly warm outside.

D Schwartz from what I understand in my reading no, they don't need a roost because of the leg issues being week from the weight. Now that is for the white variety Cornish x etc. the red and black don't seem to suffer the leg issues so not sure about that variety.

Back
Top Bottom