Do meat birds roost?

Bluegill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Greeting from a new member!

Do meat birds such as the Cornish X or Red Rangers roost? I am looking at my options for a coop and didn't know if they will utilize a roost if available. I am thinking about a dozen of each of these breeds.

Thanks!

Yep these breeds, like all chickens, roost. However, the roosts need not be high as the breeds you are getting are heavy and won't fly to a high roost.

They will roost, just have to make it low enough so that they can get on it. When they get much bigger and heavier, they prefer to be on the ground though.

I never provided roosts for my Cornish simply because I didn't want them to injure their legs when the jumped off the roost.

My 4 pullets saved over from last year do roost on low 1-2 foot roost, The smaller 2 will use a roost that is about 4 ft high if they are able. Note that the "smaller" 2 are around 5-6 lbs. The 2 large girls are in the range of 10-12+ lbs. Guess I ended up saving 2 runts and 2 bigguns. I get 1-3 eggs/day from 4 pullets though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I read somewhere that you shouldn't have a roost for meat birds because it'll toughen the meat??? :confused:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I read somewhere that you shouldn't have a roost for meat birds because it'll toughen the meat???
hu.gif

It won't toughen the meat but the chickens are very apt to injure their legs jumping off the roost.

Back
Top Bottom