Do Mille Fleur d'Uccles make good pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fruit Juice, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Do Mille Fleur d'Uccles make good pets? How many eggs do they lay?
    Pics welcome. [​IMG]

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Roosters? Not always. Hens, decent disposition. They lay one egg at a time.[​IMG] No, they lay about like any feather-footed bird.

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i have been raising d'uccles for 4-5 yrs never a mean roo , however d'anvers are another story. the hens are very nice

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 2 MF d'Uccle hens that are about 11 months old. They're friendly... when I can catch the fast little boogers. As far as laying, they're not nearly as dependable as my Black Australorp, who lays almost daily, but their eggs are not that much smaller than hers compared to the difference in their body sizes.

We love our feather-footed, muffed-faced, spotted little girls. [​IMG]

BTW, mine try to hide their eggs and one of mine went broody this past November, at around 7 months old.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  5. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have had several d'Uccles including a roo. All had great personalities. Very people friendly birds. I would love to have more! I would recommend them to anyone.

Lisa [​IMG]

edited to add: Mine were good regular layers and wonderful mamas

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have one rooster that thinks he wants to live inside and is always sitting on my shoulder chattering up a storm. He was my main one to always jump the fence and come to the door begging. He has also been on a car ride and liked it.

[​IMG]

The other two roosters are more stand-offish and chicken-like in their behavior. Small in size, big in attitude.

The hens are very friendly and until everyone went broody here I was getting 9- 10 eggs per day out of 12 pullets (not all d'uccles). I would say about 5/6 eggs per week.

I posted this picture elsewhere but these girls just crack me up - two of them are broody and sharing a nest, the other two just wanted to be with them:
    [​IMG]

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's some pics to help answer your question [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rambo sitting on my lap while I watch a movie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Kanchii - that is how our Rougue is - likes to be inside with us, sits on the back of the chair and watches TV, etc.

He is an absolute goofball AND we just put some3-6 week old chicks out in the coop which he has taken under his wing so to speak and shows them around.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I ADORE my Millie.... though, she can be standoffish sometimes. Mostly she loves me when I have TREATS!!! LOL

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    D' Uccles and Booted Bantams both can make wonderful pets and lay well. You have to remember that no matter what the breed, you can always get one that is NOT friendly though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by