Do muscovy duck sit on the eggs as they hatch

Very nice group of babies. I'm waiting on mine due tomorrow or next day. I got a chance to listen to a few eggs quickly and heard a cheep and pecking inside the egg so somebody has internally pipped anyways. Its a great experience so far. My other hen has 13 eggs now and sits periodically but has not become dedicated yet to setting.

Smartconnect how many eggs were there and what has the success rate?

Last edited:
Very nice group of babies. I'm waiting on mine due tomorrow or next day. I got a chance to listen to a few eggs quickly and heard a cheep and pecking inside the egg so somebody has internally pipped anyways. Its a great experience so far. My other hen has 13 eggs now and sits periodically but has not become dedicated yet to setting.

Smartconnect how many eggs were there and what has the success rate?

Today is the 37th day (yesterday, I too heard the internal peeping), and out of 17 eggs it appears most - if not all - have hatched. They won't be still enough when she steps off the nest, to count.

Today is the 37th day (yesterday, I too heard the internal peeping), and out of 17 eggs it appears most - if not all - have hatched. They won't be still enough when she steps off the nest, to count.
I think nailing down when to start counting as day 1 has some impact on the 35 day rule. Mine was on the day before and first day all but 3-4 hours so may not actually started full time till day 2 which would put them actually at 33 days not 35 tomorrow. Either way hoping for a good hatch. She had 1 egg roll out or she kicked it out so has 11 under her.

I've seen both, sat upon & a side step.. usually you can tell first by egg shells scattered about before you actually see the babies, you hear them often too. Scovie mamas are pretty hostile generally speaking.

Hatch dates do vary, i'll be honest i know longer count, i just keep an eye on broodies and have myself prepared to do my usual set-up. I had one hatch out her clutch on Thursday.. 1 down lol

Love to see how your hatch goes Zook! best of luck.

Last edited:
Love to see how your hatch goes Zook! best of luck.

My girl just came off the nest again to eat and drink. I got a chance to check the eggs. Four are starting to externally pip at 2pm today. Most of the others I can hear tapping inside them when I held them to my ear. She has lately been coming off for very short periods to eat and drink about 2 -3 times a day so each time she gets off I'll be checking progress.

Last edited:
Momma duck usually is out for food and water by 9am the latest every day and yesterday at 2pm there were 4 eggs externally pipped. Its now 12:15pm and no sign she is coming out of her duck house. I can't see in without disturbing her and won't, but sure kills waiting. I suspect there is hatching going on and she refuses to leave the eggs.Today should definitely be day 35 give or take 1 day.

How long do they take to hatch my Muscovy seems to of been on hers forever ! We did a float test yesterday and only 10% at most floats above the water and when we put them back I swear I felt movement yet no chicks yet ? Also our male duck was sat on them this morning while she was out getting food

I took 3 eggs inside from my ducks.. put them in the incubator . I did this so it wouldn’t freeze. Now she laid another egg had it in the nest and took it out. Put it where I was able to get the other ones from. What does this mean? Does she not want them anymore since I took the other ones? Or is she asking me to help? I have a pair just given to me and there both such sweet hearts:))

Mine sat on hers until they hatched. I noticed when they were hatching she would stand up and kinda peck at them.

Also, if you’re only on day 25 you probably still another 10 days before they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom