Do my chicks need grit?

Princess_Lay-a

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
My chicks are roughly a week old and we’re giving them DuMOR 20% chick starter/grower. Do I need to give them chick grit with this as well? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 21
Short answer: No, if that is their only food.

Longer answer: Processed chicken pellets/crumbles are designed to break down quickly in water and be digested. Anything else (seeds, bugs, grass, worms, etc) need grit to help start the process to break them down for digestion.

Edit: @nuthatched is correct. If you are putting them on wood shaving bedding (very common), then I'd recommend having grit on the side. It is a cheap precaution. When chickens are raised naturally (free-ranging, outside with a hen), they can pick up grit naturally and this isn't an issue.

Short answer: No, if that is their only food.

Longer answer: Processed chicken pellets/crumbles are designed to break down quickly in water and be digested. Anything else (seeds, bugs, grass, worms, etc) need grit to help start the process to break them down for digestion.

Edit: @nuthatched is correct. If you are putting them on wood shaving bedding (very common), then I'd recommend having grit on the side. It is a cheap precaution. When chickens are raised naturally (free-ranging, outside with a hen), they can pick up grit naturally and this isn't an issue.
This is so helpful. Thank you!! I’m using the wood shaving bedding so I will get some now. I appreciate the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom