Do My Chix Need to Be Vaxed?

ElioraImmanuel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
I'm new to raising chickens? I want to order Ameraucana's from a Hatchery. Do they need to be vaxed? What about the chix I get from Western Reserve Chick Days? I'm so intimidated!

I order from McMurray and always get them vacs.! Or you can get medicated chick starter, I think they carry it at TSC. I just do it as a precaution as I don't want them getting sick after I get them.

I heard that chicks dont need to be vacinnated if you have only a few in your backyard. Need to be vaccinated when you have a big flock. I hatched my and just feed them medicated feed without any vaccination. I am sure someone here can help with this.

I got mine vacinated. My in laws have chickens and didn't get them vacinated and some came down with Meriks disease and died. Now it is in the soil permanantly and all chickens current and future are exposed to it. It's worth it!

Vaccinated for what? There's Mareks and coccidiosis. Medicated feed has nothing to do with Mareks, though I heard someone say it did--they were wrong, wrong, wrong. The meds in feed are to help chicks build immunity to the oocycts in the soil that cause cocci. If you vaccinate for cocci, do not feed medicated feed.

None of my birds have ever been vaccinated for anything.

Back
Top Bottom