Do my Cream Crested Lebars look strange? are they all roos?

drangle

Songster
Sep 1, 2022
Southeast colorado
so I recently got these 6 CCL from a hatchery in NM they are about 4 weeks old. All the chicks that have colored leg bands I am assuming are males since they had a dot on their head as little chicks. recently I was told that cockerels should not have any salmon on their chest and that some look more like hens. IDK if they are just poor quality in regards to color? or if the autosexing was wrong? not sure would love to hear some feedback from other CCL owners.
blue.jpg
red.jpg
yellow.jpg
green.jpg
orange.jpg
hen.jpg
hen1.jpg
Sorry for the pics not being the greatest. Some of these guys were hard to shoot lol.

So if the autosexing head spots are correct than blue, red, yellow, green, and orange are all cockerels. the final chick without a band is the pullet. I am starting to wonder if yellow and green might be mismarked pullets?

So if the autosexing head spots are correct than blue, red, yellow, green, and orange are all cockerels. the final chick without a band is the pullet. I am starting to wonder if yellow and green might be mismarked pullets?
You can watch their comb development, just like with any other breed. They're getting old enough for that to start being useful. Blue and Red look pretty clearly male by their combs.

For the other ones, I can't tell for sure in your photos, by the color or by the combs & wattles. But they may become more obvious to you over the next few weeks.

If you are planning to breed any chicks from them, I would only use ones that were correctly marked (so if any of the odd ones are pullets, I would not breed from them, although of course they would be fine as pets or egg layers.)

If you are planning to breed any chicks from them, I would only use ones that were correctly marked (so if any of the odd ones are pullets, I would not breed from them, although of course they would be fine as pets or egg layers.)

I don't keep this breed, but I think that this is excellent advice for any autosexing breed.

My own Australorps are easy to sex because the boys' combs show clearly by 3-4 weeks. My intent is that if I ever do get a boy who didn't show his comb on time I will DQ him as a breeder in order to keep my flock easy to sex.

Back
Top Bottom