Do my girls have attitude or is it just me?

Mrandmrsbulldog

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
So my girls are 18 weeks old, just started laying they are doing great all around, but I am afraid I have spoiled them too much on the weekends with fresh greens, watermelon, and other taste snacks. Now during the week, they peck all the pellet food ( I am feeding a layer) out of the 7 lb feeder, and they do not seem to touch it again, in the evenings half the coop is covered in food. I don't want them to waste any more food, and I don't want to not fill up the feeder, any suggestions to get them to eat like they use too?

They are spoiled but they will eat when they are hungry and find out "better" food isn't on the way. To cut down on food waste with my turkeys I've taken to using the 'over the rail' style feeders - I use the small ones like in the link below. It hooks over a secured 2 x 4 on edge. The birds have to reach in and down to get the food. Mount it a little lower for chickens and it will work. Has really cut down on scattered food. Good luck to you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duraflex-Li...e-Rail-Hanging-Feeder-Tub-Horse-/290939660144

If you are giving them treats only on the weekends, they don't have a pattern established. Try saving your treats in the fridge so you can provide them every day. Eventually they will get excited seeing you, expecting a treat every time you show up. As for your feed waste, they are getting picky. Your best bet is to provide them mash, which is a mixture of everything they need in next to powder form. They won't be able to pick though it, eating all of it. Don't switch all at once. Mix your mash with what you currently have to switch things over, eventually serving them only the mash. Good luck! -Uncle Eric

I would raise the feeder up. The general rule is that the feeder should be at the height of the hen's back. Also, I would frequently give them grass or other greens you can just pluck from the weeds or give them the weeds from your garden or something (provided they don't have grass and other weeds in their pen.)

Our feeder is off the ground, it is hanging to the height of there backs there are just intentionally spreading out the food. My husband thinks they are spoiled brats.

After watching the 4 week olds eat out of their feeder, and spilling all kinds, I don't worry so much about leaving their feeder empty for a couple hrs, if they are hungry, they have a large grassy run, and all the spilled food. I decided this when I was shovelling out litter and got a full shovel of just spilled, crushed feed.

After watching the 4 week olds eat out of their feeder, and spilling all kinds, I don't worry so much about leaving their feeder empty for a couple hrs, if they are hungry, they have a large grassy run, and all the spilled food. I decided this when I was shovelling out litter and got a full shovel of just spilled, crushed feed.
Yea, if they get hungry they'll eat it off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom