Do my new hens have an accent?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Squeaky, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    So I had these two hens shipped to me from Texas (they're in quarantine right now) and I noticed something unusual. Instead of muttering under their breath or saying "Bok bok ba-GAWK" like my Rhode Island Reds, these Ameraucanas go "Buk buk buh-GAACK".

Is it a breed thing, or do the new ladies have the chicken equivalent of a Texan drawl?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

3. Squeaky

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    ... because I run my household in French and was hoping for a nice, sophisticated "bocque bocque ba-GOCQUE". Which the RIR's are starting to approximate sometimes, although there's still a lot of raucous bokking and gacking going on especially in the morning.

The rain (bocque bocque)
    in Spain (ba-Gocque)
    falls mainly on the plain. (ack! ack! ack!)

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    were they drinking coors or bud?

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My black langshans have a completely different vocabulary and prononciation than my other chickens. Much more "warbly" and whistley and vibrato sounding. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WE got a roo so that our Red Star hen would stop trying to crow... She hasn't stopped.

We are going to have to get rid of her... She sounds horrid... I rather listen to the rooster crow... and he has a very soft crow compared to the first Delaware roo that we had.

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

:lol:Lordy, this is a great thread!!! Now I think about it, my Mille Fluer D'Uccles kinda purr along in soft sweet voices and...sound frenchy![​IMG]

8. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    you just wouldn't believe it till you see/hear it [​IMG] not all chicken speak the same lingo, i had two oeg who couldn't talk to the easter chickens, ohh the trouble that caused [​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    everythings bigger in TEXAS lol i had to say it

10. Squeaky

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Quote:It's all vin rouge around here, if only because I won't share my Martinis.

I may reconsider my vodka sharing policy if I ever get Polish chickens. One has to be culturally sensitive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by