1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do my Silkies have Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starlabird, Jun 22, 2010.

1. starlabird

starlabird Hatching

Jun 4, 2010
    Hello,

I'm new to chicken keeping and am wondering if this looks like leg mites on my silkies?
    My Silkies are 13 weeks old. It's hard to tell if the area where their feathers grow out on their
    legs looks normal or problematic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of one of my Red Star's leg, does it look how it should?
    [​IMG]

I'm also wondering if the white "casing" around their feathers is normal or a sign of lice or mites

[​IMG]

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Meghan
    in Eastern MA

2. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    They look fine to me. The white casing around the feathers is normal it's something that happens when they grow a new feather in.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    On the bottom photo, that is normal feather growth, if you brush them that just comes off- here are some shots of mites, and also lice- i found out my silky had lice when i bathed him and saw red things walking around - what i thought was fuzz was lice eggs..ewwww.... so he had a bath in cooking oil to kill them, then alot of baths in dawn to get the oil off,

mites

[​IMG]

lice look more like fuzz- have to find those pics- the best way i found to tell is give them a bath and see if anything like a little red dot is floating in the water- those are lice- for mites check the vent area for chunks like in the pic

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Your silkies look healthy. The sheething on the feathers is alright.

I am questioning the top two pictures and wondering if the scales are showing any signs of scaly leg mites? It is hard to tell with a picture. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to treat them on the feet with some aquaphor once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by