Do new chicks always try to sit on the next ones to hatch?

foxflower

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Surprise Valley, CA
Two chicks hatched this AM. The first one sat on the second as it was trying to hatch. Now the both are trying to sit on the next two the farthest along. Has anyone else noticed this crazy behavior?

I heard they will stay close to the ones they hear chirping which is usually the ones to hatch next but don't know for sure.

Nah, they just lay on whatever eggs they feel comfort them with warmth and "life." - My first Ameraucana chick from my last hatch spent most of her time sleeping on a Marans egg that never hatched. . .
wink.png
Next the other chicks slept on other random eggs.

You all are almost as funny as the chicks
lol.png
8 out of 12 have hatched so far and another working on a zip. Last night after posting I turned the incubator so the other side was facing me and they came over to sit by me, especially the first two. Guess they may have imprinted on me, cause the like to stay close. My brinsea eco 20 is next to the computer on the desk so they are keeping me company.
hugs.gif
What fun! So far its the eggs around the edge of the machine that are hatching, working in toward the middle under the fan. Actually, the 3 directly under the fan haven't pipped at all and its day 22.
idunno.gif
I guess we'll see. It's getting kinda crowded in there!

Back
Top Bottom