Do newly hatched ducklings need water in there brooder for them 2 swim

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
i should hopefully be having atleast 1 of my ducks hatch this weekend so i was owndering how long is it till the ducks need to be able to swim in water and what temp should their brooder be at?

Brood them how you would a chick. No swimming pool in the brooder they can drown. When they're a few days old you can let them take short swims in the sink or tub but only for a few minutes at a time. They can get water logged and chilled easily.

I generally treat my ducklings the same as chicks with no problems but don't give them a water source they can swim in initially. I usually don't let them swim until around 3-4 weeks old.

If a mom raises them they get the oils from the mom, so they don't get soggy in the water. You'll need to wait a while for them to develop their own oily layer so their feathers will be able to repell the water, before you let them get into water.
I don't have ducks, but my daugher loved ducks as a little girl and I had to get her every book in the children's library. I learned a lot about ducks that way.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom