Do newly hatched ducklings need water in there brooder for them 2 swim

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i should hopefully be having atleast 1 of my ducks hatch this weekend so i was owndering how long is it till the ducks need to be able to swim in water and what temp should their brooder be at?

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Brood them how you would a chick. No swimming pool in the brooder they can drown. When they're a few days old you can let them take short swims in the sink or tub but only for a few minutes at a time. They can get water logged and chilled easily.

3. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I generally treat my ducklings the same as chicks with no problems but don't give them a water source they can swim in initially. I usually don't let them swim until around 3-4 weeks old.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    If a mom raises them they get the oils from the mom, so they don't get soggy in the water. You'll need to wait a while for them to develop their own oily layer so their feathers will be able to repell the water, before you let them get into water.
    I don't have ducks, but my daugher loved ducks as a little girl and I had to get her every book in the children's library. I learned a lot about ducks that way. [​IMG]

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks every1 i just didnt want to be a cuse for any more deaths around here thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by