Do old chickens get pale?

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
My head Momma is my oldest gal. She is boss of the flock but she's an older chicken, now just over 6 years old. My understanding is chickens generally live 8-10 years. ANyhow, her wattles and comb have gotten quite pale, a light pink color instead of their normal bright red, as of the last 2 months or so, and she moves around more slowly than she used to. Is this typical for an older girl or should I be concerned about something?

Usually a pale comb is a sign of illness. I would highly recommend visiting hencam.com. She has a blog and FAQ there. She raises a lot of older hens, and knows quite a bit about health and illness, and how to treat, and when not to.

I have found most chickens live between 4-8 years, with an occasional hen living longer, my oldest was 9. She does sound like something internally is going on, unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done if it's due to aging. Good luck.

Something is wrong.

Had this happen a few times with older birds.

Some recovered...some not so lucky.

Personally, if a bird has lived a long life, I do not interfere with nature.

I would keep watch over the flock as a whole, making sure there are no issues.

Thanks everyone, I will look into the worm issue,and look at hencam.com for more info. If she is ill I'd like to treat her if possible.

Back
Top Bottom