Do peacocks grieve for lost mate?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
My peahen, Anastasia, recently died. Her mate, Rainbow, has changed behavior since she has been gone. It has been two weeks since she died. Even though Rainbow is in a large aviary along with three other grown peafowl (two peahens at least 2 1/2 years old and one male just at 3 years - Rainbow is their daddy) he has taken to staying in their peafowl house and sits on the perch most of the day. He has always been the dominant male but now he shows no interest in the other birds. He does get out to eat and drink, but stays alone in the peahouse most of the day. It is so sad. I think he is grieving for Anastasia. Am I being too sentimental? Do peafowl grieve?

Sorry for your loss. Do you know why the hen died?
No I don’t. She had not been doing well for almost 2 years at least. All the birds are wormed twice a year. I treat them with safeguard and ivermectin when necessary. I keep their Peafowl houses clean and spray the pens to keep fleas and mites etc. As needed. She just failed to thrive and I don’t know what was wrong. The other birds all seem very healthy and alert. Rainbow was the man in charge and always seems strong and healthy. Since Anastasia died though his whole personality seems to have changed.

Personally, when I lost my dear Princess I did notice that both Pete and Paloma were depressed for a while. I don’t think that they realized she wasn’t coming back, as they would fly to the highest point they could find and honk for her. After she did not appear they would go back to their pen and sleep nestled together. They also have changed their personalities, but in a less severe way as your Rainbow. I got them a couple friends and they still don’t share the same relationship to them as they did to Princess. Especially if they were mates for an extended period of time, I do think that it’s possible that Rainbow misses her. Of course there could be a medical cause to his depressed state as well, but from my single experience they do mourn.

Personally, when I lost my dear Princess I did notice that both Pete and Paloma were depressed for a while. I don’t think that they realized she wasn’t coming back, as they would fly to the highest point they could find and honk for her. After she did not appear they would go back to their pen and sleep nestled together. They also have changed their personalities, but in a less severe way as your Rainbow. I got them a couple friends and they still don’t share the same relationship to them as they did to Princess. Especially if they were mates for an extended period of time, I do think that it’s possible that Rainbow misses her. Of course there could be a medical cause to his depressed state as well, but from my single experience they do mourn.

Yes, Rainbow and Anastasia were mates for almost 5 years. When she started not feeling well she would stay close to him so the other birds didn't bother her. The two of them would spend most of their time together right up until the end. I spend more time with him during the day now and give him first dibs at a treat or a bowl of greens...he does still eat well, it is just that his personality has changed so much. I will keep a good eye on him to see if he shows signs of physical illness and then see what I can do. It is so hard to lose our beautiful birds.

That said, it is time to give them worm treatments...life must go on after all. : /

My peahen, Anastasia, recently died. Her mate, Rainbow, has changed behavior since she has been gone. It has been two weeks since she died. Even though Rainbow is in a large aviary along with three other grown peafowl (two peahens at least 2 1/2 years old and one male just at 3 years - Rainbow is their daddy) he has taken to staying in their peafowl house and sits on the perch most of the day. He has always been the dominant male but now he shows no interest in the other birds. He does get out to eat and drink, but stays alone in the peahouse most of the day. It is so sad. I think he is grieving for Anastasia. Am I being too sentimental? Do peafowl grieve?
I think my peacock lost his mate. He came back this morning without her. Seems very sad. We let them out of their house and they hung around for a week. They were in the woods behind the house somewhere for a week. He’d answer my call now and then. Very sad

Back
Top Bottom