Do people do mean things with free roosters?

Thank you for everyone’s comments and concern. I have one person to ask for help and then I will go the route of having my husband shoot and bury him. I cannot eat my pet even though he was mean to me. I know it’s not his fault... he is just doing a good job protecting his flock. It feels like a waste of life not to eat him, but I won’t be able to sleep for fear he could be treated inhumanely. Your responses have helped me a lot. Thank you again.
this is really late, but next time bring him to a farm sanctuary, they are usually willing to take roosters that would otherwise be subjected to death!

I know it’s not his fault...

But it is not your fault either, so don't beat yourself up. Nobody forced him to attack you.

...he is just doing a good job protecting his flock.

That is where I see rooster behaviour quite differently:

Attacking the person that raised him, feeds him and the flock daily and generally takes care of the flocks well-being is not a roosters job. By assaulting the well-known caregiver he is definitely not protecting his flock.

If a rooster is too dense to differentiate between a real danger to his flock and the daily caregiver there is no way to change that and it is just not worth the effort.

I too have killed and buried nasty cockerels, especially the bantams, who hardly have any meat for the freezer. I do sell nice cockerels, and some do have good homes. Feeding a family is not a bad end, for a bird who's had a nice life until that last few minutes. Much better than those poor commercial meat birds!
Human aggressive birds do not get rehomed here! In the past, I tried to 'reform' a few, and rehomed two of them, and in hindsight, am glad that nobody else was injured, and no lawsuits came of sending a nasty bird away.
Mary

But it is not your fault either, so don't beat yourself up. Nobody forced him to attack you.

That is where I see rooster behaviour quite differently:

Attacking the person that raised him, feeds him and the flock daily and generally takes care of the flocks well-being is not a roosters job. By assaulting the well-known caregiver he is definitely not protecting his flock.

If a rooster is too dense to differentiate between a real danger to his flock and the daily caregiver there is no way to change that and it is just not worth the effort.
I have hurt over this since it happened. I ended up giving him to a “friend,”. She had said that she might eat him if he was mean to her. After she had him for several days, she told me “he just layed down and died, I didn’t even get to eat him.” I don’t know for sure what she truly did to him, but I most definitely should have had my husband shoot him rather than go through what he may have went through with her. I won’t go into details. My hens were extremely sad for at least a week, and very disoriented. They then came to like me again.
Anyways, all of this just to say thank you so so so so much for your comment! I think I will be ok when I think of him now. He should have been nice to me. I give my chickens everything. My husband says we are down to about $500 an egg now as much as we have spent on spoiling them!

Back
Top Bottom