Do pinless peeper come in different sizes?

Holly67

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
Hello all~

Today I picked up some pinless peepers from my local feed store. This is my first time using them and will be putting them on one offending bird named Magna. She's the 'big deal' top hen and has singled out one low-ranking bird, pulling out her head feathers creating bald spots and drawing blood all over the head / comb. They are all about 3 years old and this is new behavior. :( (Iv'e been doing a lot of reading on why pecking happens in the first but I'm finding nothing applicable other than that I could try adding more protein (mealworms) and give the girls more to do.) I've isolated the poor picked-on bird so she can heal. Just briefly looking at Magna's nostrils, it's hard to imagine how the prongs will fit in there without hurting her... Magna is an Andalusian, which is not a very large breed.

I'm not seeing that peepers are offered in different sizes online and they just had one size at my feed store. Do they come in different sizes and does anyone have a source for a smaller-pronged one? Or am I just over thinking this?

I put them on a barred rock and speckled sussex after they bloodied another chicken for the 2nd time. The hens don't seem uncomfortable, they can eat and drink and roost, and the bullying has STOPPED. You need the long prongs to keep them in. These blinders were a life saver, literally. The hens would have gone to freezer camp.....

Thank you Sue, I agree I must put it on. The offending chicken is in jail for now.

Back
Top Bottom