Do pointy saddle feathers generally mean it's a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MacTech, Jul 15, 2015.

1. MacTech

MacTech Chillin' With My Peeps

Rooster, or Hen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of my Easter Eggers I purchased in March, it hasn't crowed yet, but is mounting the other EE hens and being generally a mean jerk

As you can see, both hackle and saddle feathers are pointy, the tail feathers got pulled out by my alpha Buff Orp hen

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I have never seen a hen with saddle feathers. Dont mean theres not but HE is a very handsome roo..

3. watchmoon10358

watchmoon10358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2015
    I think there could me be but I bet its very rare
    Its probably a rooster

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    That is a male for sure.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With those long pointed saddle feathers and that large, bright red comb and wattles, it is definitely a cockerel.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel.

7. MacTech

MacTech Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I figured, he doesn't have Spurs though, do they develop later?

He still hasn't crowed, and his gait/posture is more horizontal, like a hen, when free ranging, he forages like a hen, does not scan for threats, like a rooster

If it wasn't for the pointy saddle feathers, I'd think he was a hen fighting for the dominant position in the pecking order, every other behavior, aside from mating, says hen to me

I will defer to the expertise of BYC though

Too bad he's a jerk, I have no patience for jerkish roosters, I already dispatched Tribble for bad behavior, Raven is a perfect gentleman, this rooster, sadly, is also a jerk

So, I've decided to name him Kevin, after a major jerk supervisor at work.... [​IMG]

That way, I can keep Kevin (rooster) in line by tagging him with my pellet rifle (Benjamin 392 multi pump, with one pump of air, it's less powerful than a Red Ryder BB gun, it just stings him), until I decide to send Kevin (rooster) to Freezer Camp....

8. hicksfamily

hicksfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

easily a male

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Definitely a cockerel. Spurs generally don't start to appear until 1 year of age.

10. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Mactech , I dont think shooting at him, even to make it sting will teach him anything and they can be taught. First thing is taming. carry him around as much as you can, pet scratch to make friends. If that dont work you can show dominance. carry him around all the others upside down. There are other ways . I hope you do well with him. If not a quick dispatch and freezer camp is in order. I dont put up with mean roosters for long either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by