Do polish lay eggs?

supermom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
I was given my first couple of chickens. My BR has been laying consistantly for a month
smile.png
. I have a polish also who is the same age as the BR. I knew that she would take longer, but now I'm kinda wondering if the breed actually lays eggs. I KNOW this is a funny question because all hens are supposed to lay eggs... but, it is taking a while and she is kinda a wierd little thing!

Hi,

I have a Polish hen that I got in September. She was of laying age when I got her and laid her first egg only after two days of being here. She was laying quite regularly after that and then she went into a molt. She stopped laying and then layed again after about three weeks but now I think she may have stopped for the winter. It's a little hard for me to tell as I also have 3 Leghorns that lay white eggs just like her.

We'll see what spring brings! Good luck with your Polish hen! Genie

Thanks for the input. This hen is 7 months old at the moment. I guess we'll just wait and see. Maybe she is storing up for Spring!

I have a polish hen and she's 8 months old. She started laying at the end of October and has just stopped laying. She wasn't very consistent. She layed an egg every 3-4 days. She's been sick so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with her stopping or she just stopped for winter. I'm hoping she's not eggbound. She seems to be getting better.

I had white crested black polish for a while. My pullets didn't start laying until after 32 weeks. Once they got the kinks worked out they consistantly laid a medium sized white egg every day for 3 days, skipped a day and started back over. This was my birds cycle and I am not indicating this would be your birds cycle. Just wanted to share my experience.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, since all birds hatch from eggs.....it would be impossible for a non-laying breed to exist.

I suppose one might be able to produce a non-laying hybrid, (like seedless watermelon) but that wouldn't actually be a breed. I'm not sure it would even be possible.

Last edited:
My mom and I have polish that I got from the feedstore. They are now almost 7 months old. Mom told me this evening that she got an egg from her buff-laced polish today. I have no proof that my two polish girls from that bunch have laid yet, and I've never caught them in the nest box. I also have a white polish, almost 6 months, and I'm sure she hasn't laid yet. She was in the house in a diaper for a couple of months after being picked nearly to death, and now she's in the temporary home with the bantam cochins. No egg in there yet.

They're not supposed to be really good layers. They're more eye candy than anything
big_smile.png
. But I'll keep mine anyway, cuz they're fun! I hope to get a decent number of eggs from them eventually, though. Just not like the rest of my girls.

Look at Henderson's chicken breed chart. It will tell you how well each breed lays.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

My buff laced polish is my best laying hen. Every day faithfully except for during her molt....she would take the occasional day off, but is a better layer then my orpingtons, wyandotte and sussex.

Mine started laying at around 8 months old...I had initially thought she started at 6 months...but realized it was my Belgium Antwerp. She does not lay every day...and her eggs are bantam size. We got her a Golden Polish Roo....who adores her. She pays no attention to him...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom