Do pullets get long tail feathers too??? *Pics Inside*

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am a first time chick mommy and am wondering if the RIR pullets get long tail feathers too? My babies are 2 weeks old and most of them are getting long tail feathers. I am hoping that most of them are pullets and not roos.
fl.gif
Do the long tail feathers at this age indicate that they might be roos??? I am posting a picture to show you what I mean. Thanks to all for your opinions!

DSC01827-1.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Last edited:
Our experience with RIRs is that the pullets get long tail feathers earlier and the roos had little teeny fuzz for a long time. But it may have just been because of the line they came from that had a slow feathering gene. Keep an eye on the short tailed ones and see if they turn out to be roos. Their comb and waddles will be turning red here in the next week or three if they are.

I have two 4 1/2 week old RIR chicks and the female has longer feathers then the male does. Both were sexed as pullets, but with the way he stands and his comb length...I think someone screwed up at the hatchery...
roll.png

Quote:
WOO-HOO!
wee.gif
That is what I was hoping for! I have two or three chicks that still have the fuzz where the tail should be. The other 9 or 10 have the long tail feathers. There is one that still has a fuzzy behind and I swear up and down that one has to be a rooster, because he's so darn feisty! We'll just cross our fingers and keep watching!
fl.gif
Thanks for the information. It's the best I've had all day!
big_smile.png

This is interesting, our RIR chicks are just over a week old and i've noticed some are feathering faster than others. One chick who we believe has already tried crowing is feathering particularly slowly, his feathers haven't really started growing yet especially not his tail feathers.

Do all chicks 'playfight' and square up to each other, or is this purely a roo thing?? Sorry to thread-jack...
smile.png

I read on a link that someone posted on here about sexing RIR chicks, and apparently this technique was 85% effective....it said that RIR pullets have a small black stripe on their heads as chicks, whereas the roos do not.....the essay said it was only 85% effective, so it's not always right, but I think 85% is better than 50-50!!! LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom