Do pullets need to be fully grown to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneyfoot, Dec 17, 2011.

1. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    I have 2 18 week old RIRs. They are smaller than my 5-6 month barred rock. Do you think they can lay even though they are not fully grown??
    Thnaks

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    They should be reaching sexual maturity around now. Their combs and wattles will develop and redden before they lay and they will start to "squat" (or submit to a rooster) when you go to pet them. These are all signs they are getting ready to lay, but they may not start until February or so because the days are so short right now. Mine will be 20 weeks at the solstice... no idea why I didn't plan THAT one better [​IMG]

Just FYI, they lay when they reach sexual maturity, so in that respect they are fully grown. They will continue to fill out for another ~6 months though.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    HI and Welcome to BYC. Your pullets may lay at 24 to 28 weeks, but I have some huge Sussex and they were hatched in March and not an egg yet. I think the bigger the bird, the longer it takes them to start laying. Once you get eggs, it is awesome!!! HenZ

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Thirteen year old girls are capable of reproducing even though they are not full grown. It's the same with animals, they will still continue to grow some after becoming fertile.

5. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I know you are eager and mostly likely your chickens will lay at about six months.

It is true that the chances are they won't begin until there are more daylight hours.

It's really exciting when you get that first egg. Fun.

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    My Rhodies started laying between 20 and 23 weeks. You're close. The lack of daylight may delay them a little more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by