1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do pullets 'practice' laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubycal, Oct 13, 2012.

1. rubycal

rubycal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to all this. I have an ee that I'm pretty sure is a pullet, probably about 3 months old. Last night I introduced 6 rir hens that are just over I year. I also have two other hens. Everyone is getting along ok, and the rir hens were eager to lay, giving me 3 eggs this am (another one is sitting in the box). My ee went into a box and sat for awhile and then stood up and made motions like she was going to lay, and sat down again for awhile. After about 1/2 hour she left. She is young to lay, (if I have her age right) so do they practice, or is she copying the new girls?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Both. Flock dynamics lend themselves to a "monkey see, monkey do". Sounds like she wants to join the laying sorority.

3. Yup, both. She testing out the nest boxes for when shes ready (kinda how a rooster will go into them and coo until a hen comes, hes trying to get them to check it out and lay, ya know, so his offspring are passed on, LOL ) and with all the other hens there, she has to the 'monkey see monkey do' thing.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. They will do that. Sometimes they start sleeping in the nest boxes then you might get poopy eggs when others lay eggs in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by