Do quail get Angel Wing???

Sunny the Hippie Chick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Brookings Oregon
I was just wondering if quail get angel wing.. I have a button quail and it is getting its wing feathers.. It was hatched first, so getting its feathers first.. Its a week old. And its tip of its wings are sort of poking out away from its body. Not to bad, but noticable. They are not turning upwards, or way out like I have seen some photos of angel wing. But it was just one wing yesterday. Today it is both. Could it be that it just doesnt know how to hold its wings yet.. What should I do with the little guy. It is one of the 3 largest chicks. And it is my favorite cause it came from a tuxedo pair. This is my first baby quail.. And none of the others are showing signs of this yet.. But the other quail were hatched a day later..

I am feeding them game starter that I ground up in a coffee grinder.. And I change their water about 10 times a day, or more.
lol.png

Thank you for any advice I can get..

Should I wrap its wings.. If so what should I use to do it on such a tiny bird..

Last edited:
I honestly don't know, but I googled it (I have nothing but time...) and came up with this. This is only in reference to water fowl.

Ms. Kear's suggestions are to not feed high protein, high energy feed (such as turkey feed), provide plenty of room for exercise, keep in small groups, provide plenty of grass or green feed and keep the pen dark at night if possible so less eating occurs. If you do notice a twisted wing, however, you can form a sling to hold the wing in place to allow proper development.​

I too googled it.. And almost every thing I found was for water fowl. But I did find one site that said that some parrots from the tropics are prone to it to.. But never found any pictures of parrots with that condition.. I dont know what site it actually was. I would have to look it up again..

Im keeping a close eye on the bird. I sure hope it doesnt have a deformity.. I wanted that bird for breeding.. Hopefully it is just an awkward faze for the bird..

Thank you hennypenny9 for taking the time to do a search on the topic.. BYC is full of great and wonderful people..

Every where I have read on feeding button quail said to feed them game starter as chicks.. I wonder if I should switch their feed..

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what I have read too.. But I have also read that a high in sugar diet.. Or a diet high in calories can do it too.. Im feeding them what was recommended for them. I was told to only feed them game starter as babies and game bird food as adults..

I was told by many different breeders of button quail to feed them game bird food and not to use chicken food.. But I am beginning to wonder if I should change their diet.. But that is all I have around here..

I wonder if it is genetic.. Or some thing to do with shipped eggs..

How can I fix this condition.. I heard you can wrap their wing into it proper place while young and it may fix itself.. But how can I wrap a little chick that is so small.. Im trying to think of a way to do it without harming the tiny little guy..

Back
Top Bottom