1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do quail stop laying during their molt?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sumatra503, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    My pen looks like a Button Quail exploded in there! Do Buttons normally have a big molt like this?

Also, do the y stop laying like chickens do during their molt?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have had coturnix loose almost half of their breast feathers in their first molt. I have 2 ages of quail in my breeder pen. I have some 8 month olds, and some 4 month olds. They are molting at the same time, so when they molt I go out of business for a while. Well not all the way. I still sell meat birds and chickens while they're in a molt. No eggs though.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Buttons do molt. They will go through a big molt when getting their adult colors but usually molt more when in a colony setting. They usually will lay an egg sporadically when in molt. I have lights on 14-16 hours a day so mine continue laying. the coturnix get really gnarly looking when in molt and feathers all over the place but not too bad with production.

4. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Haven't gotten a single egg since the first batch. I think I'm outa business until spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by