Do Quails Need Sandbath Boxes?

The DE helps prevent mites or other creepy crawlies that might go after your bird. It isn't essential, but I also use it in the garden so I have it on hand anyway.

You can get the crushed oyster shells at the feed store over by the chicken feed.

bow.gif
No you can use what is at hand but if you use much dirt it gets messy I suggest you take some local sand and dirt with some scratch food not much put in bowl and watch then read and use what the old hands say some is a bit of added price but DE is worth it weight in gold and kills bed bugs it sort of poishes ther feathers is hard to explaine for someone who dosen;t spell well or type well HELP from the old helpers. Take a bird in the sunlight and look at it's feathers if you can't see the edege of any clearly and they fade into a mesh of overlaping not stright lines you have very hardy birds. DE will do this and they eat it and make better eggs if your a hand turnner this is a must or finely crushed oyster shells. Some foods have them but the birds will only eat what they need.
jumpy.gif

REMEMBER THEY NO HOW MUCH ALL YOU NEED IS TO PROVIDE IT.

I use De +finly crushed oyster shells chicken scratch sand from the beach near by and I ad a bit of dirt and they no the differance. The dirt if just a pinch is a must with my birds.

snake173

P.S. I will not say who noes more but will say sand and all the rest is cheep and DE will de-louce you dog or cat toss it in the seep place and under every maptress in the house my birds no the differance and the hand turners will tell you that they look tuff but crack easy DE will make stronger egg shells I.E stronger chicks.

Last edited:
Just a warning about using play sand for your quail. Most play sand is actually carcinogenic. According to mommyfootprint.com, "The ingredient crystalline silica found in most play sand can cause lung disease such as silicosis and are small enough to get trapped in lung tissue." This is true for children, so I have to imagine that the same holds true for quail. Additionally, my quail eat some of the sand, so it can't be good to eat a carcinogen. My quail definitely do love their sand baths.

We went to the dollar store and bought about 6 of the aluminum throw away roasting pans for dirt baths. Easy to clean and have lasted for a couple months and going strong. Plus if you have a less than big enough door (lesson learned) they will fold up and unfold after you get them in the cage.

And yes it is cheap entertainment to watch!

I have heard that it keeps parasites down... I suppose they dont need it, but they love it so much, i keep one in there 24/7. They also eat it to help digest. Another thing they enjoy is fresh greens and grass clippings. It keeps them from being bored or picking at eachother. They like it if its hidden, too. That way they find it later on and get all excited
smile.png

I use cardboard boxes with 5 inch sides and tape it for support. I use quickrete play sand and they love it. I will spray the sand with water and let it drain before putting it in the box. In this nasty southern IL weather they love damp sand, and the ones in the box takin a sand bath always seem cooler. I will use a box for two days then it goes to the burn pile.

I got play sand (it's wet) 4 chicks that I bought at an auction, they are different ages. I think I better dry it since I'm trying to keep them warm. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom