Do rabbits eat corn?

cheyfrie26

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I just got rabbits and I know theres rabbit pellets and all of that. As of now they are eating the guinea pig pellets. But some kid down the road said they love dried corn? Is that true? I've never heard such thing but do they eat it?

Ok, you need to have the pellets as their main source of food. Not sure about corn, but I give broccoli as treats, as they don't care for carrots much. Mine LOVE dandilions!!!1

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest.

We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls!​

Quote:

hmmm We've always (at least 30+ years) given our rabbits cracked corn mixed with other grains in the winter to help keep up their body heat. We've never had a problem. I wonder if being cracked corn is what makes the difference? Of course, someone needs to tell this to all the wild rabbits who every year have a giant feast in my neighbor's corn field.

someone needs to tell this to all the wild rabbits who every year have a giant feast in my neighbor's corn field.

They probably aren't eating corn kernals​

We have always given our rabbits cracked corn. Also usually in the fall we get corn still on the ear from my father in law (whats left in the field when they are done with it) and give the whole ear to the rabbits as a treat, the love it and I have never had a problem with it. They usually eat it all, sometimes even the cob.

Quote:
They probably aren't eating corn kernals

seen them at it. they will gnaw down any dropped ears like no tomorrow. They also loved to hang around the cattle feeder in wintertime and eat all the feed corn that the cows spilled. Made for really good eating, so my grandfather always dumped them their own little pile.

Last edited:
Part of the reason I grow such a fine crop of wild rabbits at my place is the spilled corn they eat from the tractors. It's not a complete feed to be sure, but they eat it.

Back
Top Bottom