1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do rabbits eat corn?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cheyfrie26, Jul 31, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I just got rabbits and I know theres rabbit pellets and all of that. As of now they are eating the guinea pig pellets. But some kid down the road said they love dried corn? Is that true? I've never heard such thing but do they eat it?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, you need to have the pellets as their main source of food. Not sure about corn, but I give broccoli as treats, as they don't care for carrots much. Mine LOVE dandilions!!!1

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Don't feed corn. I was told that it could have some toxic thing it.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest.

We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls!​

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:
    hmmm We've always (at least 30+ years) given our rabbits cracked corn mixed with other grains in the winter to help keep up their body heat. We've never had a problem. I wonder if being cracked corn is what makes the difference? Of course, someone needs to tell this to all the wild rabbits who every year have a giant feast in my neighbor's corn field.

6. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Quote:I always though cruciferous veggies were a no-no. something about gas and not being able to pass it?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    someone needs to tell this to all the wild rabbits who every year have a giant feast in my neighbor's corn field.

They probably aren't eating corn kernals​

8. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We have always given our rabbits cracked corn. Also usually in the fall we get corn still on the ear from my father in law (whats left in the field when they are done with it) and give the whole ear to the rabbits as a treat, the love it and I have never had a problem with it. They usually eat it all, sometimes even the cob.

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:They probably aren't eating corn kernals

seen them at it. they will gnaw down any dropped ears like no tomorrow. They also loved to hang around the cattle feeder in wintertime and eat all the feed corn that the cows spilled. Made for really good eating, so my grandfather always dumped them their own little pile.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Part of the reason I grow such a fine crop of wild rabbits at my place is the spilled corn they eat from the tractors. It's not a complete feed to be sure, but they eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by