Do red combs ALWAYS mean rooster?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have a 13 week old Buff Orpington that has a red comb and wattles and another that doesn't have any color at all yet. The comb and wattles are the same size in both and to my untrained eye they both look identical in feather structure. Do hens ever redden up this early?

In my experience it has more to do with the size of the cone at that young of an age then the color but since one doesn’t have a red cone and the other one does I would say the one with the red cone is a roo

not always, my girls are at POL and the wattles and combs are large and very red.....
its more the size at the young age...if you have doubts, post a pic

My BO girls are 5 months and they have bright red short comb and wattles and boys are huge with big 1 inch off head 5 point combs big wattles.

We have 17 wk old RIRs and white leghorns. The closer they got to laying eggs, the bigger and brighter red their combs got. The leghorns especially have big red combs!

I have a Speckled Sussex pullet that reddened up very early (before 10 weeks). She's 18 weeks now and not laying let (nor is she a rooster!) so for her, it didn't mean anything at all.
hu.gif

I'd suggest posting pics and getting some opinions since that was what I did with my SS and hearing unanimous "pullet" votes really eased my mind.

i also have a buff that is 1 month old and started getting a brighter red comb then the others. and also same color waddle

Back
Top Bottom