Do RIR's occasionally lay twice a day or is it another layer?

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I have gotten two eggs very early in the morning...one was still warm. And when we say early, we're talking 6 a.m. because I've gone out at 7 a.m. on the dot to open the coop and there was a warm egg. But, my RIR is doing her 'I've got an egg dance' in which she gets upset with the blue tarp hanging near the coop door and goes back and forth trying to fly at it or jump at it even though I collected an egg this morning around 7:30 that this time wasn't warm but wasn't cold either. So, do they lay sometimes twice a day or could it be my other RIR that should be starting soon...I haven't checked to see if she's laid again but it just struck me as odd since she's only been laying for 2 wks now and that is her 'sign' that she wants to lay...

It is not impossible for one hen to pop out two, or even three, eggs in a single day. But it is rare (and in my case it came from a hen who later died of eggbound/internal laying troubles, so I would not get overly excited about the concept either...) and it seems to me it is far more likely that your hen was just doing the False Alarm Dance and the second egg is from a second hen.

JME,

Pat

It was definately a false alarm dance...she didn't lay anything else...

Back
Top Bottom