Do roos feather in a lot slower in general?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Godiva, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have been watching the two hatches of chicks from this spring and it seems to me that the roos pretty consistently feather in way later than the pullets. There are a few that are kind of between the two extremes but the majority of my cockerels I have been able to pick out because they look so funny with their baby down spread out so thinly on their big bodies... this is mostly cochin chicks with some welsummer and BO.... just wondering what your experience is ...

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:thatsw what ive heard [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My cockerels did. In fact, one still has less feathering than most of the others.

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am not sure because my EE roo feathered out EXTREMELY slow, and now at 7 weeks still has fuzzies. My Delaware Blue Hens, the males feathered at the same rate and the girlies did. [​IMG]

I would have to say that most of the time that is the case, but not with every breed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have a black cochin bantam roo that is still not all the way feathered. All my other chicks that I got at the same time as him are. So I would say yeah roos feather slower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by