1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do roosters Crow all day long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uncle Marc, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    Our flock is 18 weeks old today. Our rooster, Crosby, seems to crow alot. Do they just crow when they want to? Does it mean anything? Oh, we named him Crosby, after Bing Crosby, because he is such a crooner.

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A lot depends upon the individual rooster. Some crow at dawn and dusk, others crow from dawn to dusk.

3. samanthajosling

samanthajosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    ontario,canada
    My roosters love to crow all day

4. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    My Roo is about 5 months old today and he started crowing at 7 weeks old, and increased in crowing frequency when he was moved to the coop from the brooder cage. In the start, he would crow only in the AM. Then he started crowing in the AM, AND when something startled him, or it struck him as dangerous. Now he crows ALL DAY at random but pretty frequently. I dont mind though, we are on an acreage and have the coop and run about 100 feet from our house so it doesnt bother me.

5. Elektra2167

Elektra2167 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    I am convinced despite what all the books say, roosters cannot tell time. Mine crows all day, or night, or whenever the mood strikes him.

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Mine also crow all day long, they do it for many many reasons, some we dont even understand. Sometimes they crow for dominance or communication between roosters, claiming territory, competion, seems they do it for alot of reasons lol [​IMG] For mine its from dawn to dusk!!

7. Lifestudent

Lifestudent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Ours started out crowing just in the morning and evening. Now he crows whenever he feels like it, and he crows loud. I'm a shift worker, but fortunately I can somewhat filter out sounds that I don't have to get up for usually.

8. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    Yep, mine crow's whenever he feels like it. He crows in the morning, he sings with the hens when they lay, he crows in the afternoon, he crows in the evening. I think, for the most part, he's just communicating with the hens. I noticed he crows alot more when I let them out the free range then when they are penned up.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My current roo is pretty quiet. He's 3 years and I think he's realized he no longer has anything to prove! I have heard crowing during the full moon, though, even in the middle of the night.

My young *oops* roo is also pretty quiet, but I think it's cause big Rocky won't let him crow much yet--little guy's only 4 month or so.

10. gardenrock

gardenrock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Massachusetts
    My roosters crow only during at dawn, then people begin to come by and say what pretty little hens you've got there![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by