Do roosters help with egg production

LordEvan5

Songster
Oct 21, 2020
Quaker Hill Connecticut
When I started I had two roosters. I only had seven chickens and with two roosters it was a noisy time, my neighbors went into revolt. Amidst the pitchforks and torches I sold my roosters( I was surprised someone bought them as I would have given them away to a good home but the cash was welcome). Fast forward and now I have ten hens but sense the boy’s departure egg production has dropped of dramatically. Some of this I feel is winter, but what I’m asking is the lack of a Roo part of this issue. Thank you for any help

Evan

When I started I had two roosters. I only had seven chickens and with two roosters it was a noisy time, my neighbors went into revolt. Amidst the pitchforks and torches I sold my roosters( I was surprised someone bought them as I would have given them away to a good home but the cash was welcome). Fast forward and now I have ten hens but sense the boy’s departure egg production has dropped of dramatically. Some of this I feel is winter, but what I’m asking is the lack of a Roo part of this issue. Thank you for any help

Evan
Was this a recent change? When we took out our boy two of the hens dropped off laying for a couple of days.

Lack of a rooster, no. Commercial egg laying facilities do not have any roosters with their laying hens. If a rooster helped with egg laying they would have some.

What it sounds like to me is that when you got rid of the boys you changed the pecking order. Chickens sometimes do not like change, that can be stressful. That stress may have started a molt. Or since it sounds like it was fall anyway they may have been ready to molt and the timing was more coincidence. Have you seen a bunch f feathers floating around, maybe not now but in the recent past?

Evan
Lay this out with dates and ages(in weeks or months).
When were males removed and how old were they and the females at that time?
When did you add the other 3 females and how old were they at that time?

Lack of a rooster, no. Commercial egg laying facilities do not have any roosters with their laying hens. If a rooster helped with egg laying they would have some.

What it sounds like to me is that when you got rid of the boys you changed the pecking order. Chickens sometimes do not like change, that can be stressful. That stress may have started a molt. Or since it sounds like it was fall anyway they may have been ready to molt and the timing was more coincidence. Have you seen a bunch f feathers floating around, maybe not now but in the recent past?
X2

I can’t give you to much of time I’m a person who is blessed to live a life that allows for little time keeping the birds are about a year old they are molting but that’s only really gotten going well in maybe the last month

Back
Top Bottom