do seramas hatch early under broodies too?

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I have serama eggs under a broody, put there the evening of Jan 27th, and was wondering what would be the earliest I should block her away from the other birds for safety of the babies. I could do it now, but she is nested inside my mixed broody run, right near the general food and water and it is right handy for her to get out and poop, eat and drink, and the nest is at floor level... inside a small plastic pet crate that is in side a large plastic dog crate.... no need to move her right now, but I want those babies kept strictly away from other broodies. Sometimes they sneak in that nest and lay more eggs and I have to pull those eggs out. What say ye?

true seramas should always hatch on day 19 if that is what u are asking.
big_smile.png

hmmmmm..... well, I guess it does't make too much of a difference when I shut the other chickens away. It won't affect the broody at all, it will just crowd out the other chickens for a few days to a week, depending. I guess I should candle those eggs in a few days before I get all excited about chicks hatchig... (c'mon eggs... show me some veins!)

Not all Seramas hatch on day 19. I just had some hatch out today on day 20. Just treat them as if you are hatching them for 21. The only reason they tend to hatch a day or so before other breeds is because they are so small. Other small bantam breeds do the same thing. I had an OEGB hatch last night on day 19.

Back
Top Bottom