do seramas hatch early under broodies too?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 1, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have serama eggs under a broody, put there the evening of Jan 27th, and was wondering what would be the earliest I should block her away from the other birds for safety of the babies. I could do it now, but she is nested inside my mixed broody run, right near the general food and water and it is right handy for her to get out and poop, eat and drink, and the nest is at floor level... inside a small plastic pet crate that is in side a large plastic dog crate.... no need to move her right now, but I want those babies kept strictly away from other broodies. Sometimes they sneak in that nest and lay more eggs and I have to pull those eggs out. What say ye?

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    true seramas should always hatch on day 19 if that is what u are asking. [​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Thanks. I think I will block her off on Feb 13 just to be safe. Thanks for your help.

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    u r very welcome. [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I hatched some under a broody and it took the full 21 days. [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    hmmmmm..... well, I guess it does't make too much of a difference when I shut the other chickens away. It won't affect the broody at all, it will just crowd out the other chickens for a few days to a week, depending. I guess I should candle those eggs in a few days before I get all excited about chicks hatchig... (c'mon eggs... show me some veins!)

7. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I have a question if seramas hatch on day 19 thenshould you stop turning them on the 16th day?

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Not all Seramas hatch on day 19. I just had some hatch out today on day 20. Just treat them as if you are hatching them for 21. The only reason they tend to hatch a day or so before other breeds is because they are so small. Other small bantam breeds do the same thing. I had an OEGB hatch last night on day 19.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by