Do Silkie Hens Grow Out Of Broodiness???

VolailleAmant

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
Michigan
D.gif
I am looking into getting into Silkies to hatch some eggs for me, but wonder.....Do Silkies grow out of broodiness?
Is there an age that they completely stop brooding?

I doubt it," Broody thy name is SILKIE! " Hatchery silkies generally have "broodiness" bred out of them. Catch is most don't look much like silkies at all.

Not every silkie goes broody but, you won't know beforehand.

One of my Silkie hens is around 8 years old or so, and she still goes broody several times a year. Most Silkies are prone to broodiness, its just that the hatchery ones have been bred more towards production. No, you don't need to spend $50 on any bird. In fact, most breeders sell nice quality Silkies well under that price and most breeders don't try to breed that trait away. I think what Drumstick Diva was getting at is that you aren't guaranteed broodiness in any bird, even breeds that are known for that particular trait. They are still individuals. All you can do is get your Silkies, and hope some of them decide they want to be mommas. That being said, I have a large flock of them, and all of my hens brood at least once a year (and it can be a pain at times). Good luck.

howfunkyisyourchicken, What do you mean it can be a pain at times?
In your experience or knowledge, what is the broodiest chicken breed there is? You see, my dad will only allow us to raise farm animals that will be able to make us money (or that we can profit off of), and in my case-because I LOVE poultry- I am looking to get a broody breed and sell the chicks!
Thank you!

A large fowl Cochin can cover more eggs than a silkie. Both breeds tend to be broody however each bird is an individual. I assume you will be hatching eggs from other breeds?

DrumStick Diva, What do you mean?
Will just any Silkie do? Do I need to spend like $50 bucks on a Silkie?
No, I'm not sure what dd was talking about
lol.png
It's extremely hard, if not impossible to breed broodiness out of Silkies. If you purchase a Silkie from a decent hatchery, like Cackle Hatchery, they should go broody. I got one from an absolutely terrible hatchery that had terrible inbreeding--and she went broody.

In your experience or knowledge, what is the broodiest chicken breed there is? You see, my dad will only allow us to raise farm animals that will be able to make us money (or that we can profit off of), and in my case-because I LOVE poultry- I am looking to get a broody breed and sell the chicks!
Thank you!

You may be better to pick a breed that is saleable or goes for more money and then just get a silkie or two to hatch their eggs. I've used my silkie to hatch australorp eggs so you don't have to pick a broody breed to breed if that makes sense. Getting rid of silkie roosters mightn't be that easy either if you breed them where a bigger breed people will buy for eating as well as breeding etc. so pick a breed you can sell easily and get the silkies to hatch for you.

Thank you!

Meaning, I have around 30 Silkie, Showgirl and Sizzle hens, and when most or all of them go broody all at once or one right after the other, it can be a pain to deal with them all. I never have a problem selling chicks and pullets. Most of the time I easily find homes for the boys too, but on the off chance I can't get rid of them, we eat them. I love them, and they sell well, but they pluck my nerves when its broody season. If you're only going to have a small flock, or just a couple, it wont be as bad.

I'd imagine if your Silkies are pet/hatchery quality, you *might* have a difficult time placing them. Folks around here what breeder or show quality birds and there aren't too many people in my area that have them. You might want to take a look at your local Craigslist to see what kind of market there is for Silkies in your area. Silkies and Cochins are probably the broodiest breeds, but others (like Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Marans, ect) are known for broodiness as well.

Back
Top Bottom