Do silkies eat different feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happyheart, Feb 8, 2009.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    I just got a pair of Silkies and really they dont seem to like what I am feeding the rest of my girls which is corn bread greens. Do they need something different? [​IMG]

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    In addition to layer pellets (if they are that age), you can give them snacks. They may have just not had snacks like that before.

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Are you only feeding corn, greens and bread?

That diet doesn't have adequate protein. The base of chickens' diet should consist of free choice layer feed or game bird feed. Corn should be a treat only, as should bread. Those are too high in carbohydrates to make up the bulk of their diet.

4. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Sorry yes and layer feed they are all of that age. I should have included that. Plus they all free range they get apples oatmeal chips cookies cereal burrito shells taco shells tomatoes anything left over my girls are overly plump I must say.

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:Oh good! You never know... I don't know, perhaps the little silkies were fed only one type of food and aren't recognizing their new variety as edible? Like when our chickens were chicks, they just kind of stared at new foods until we showed them it was edible, I even had to sprinkle crumbles on their yogurt. Now the pigs will eat anything.

6. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i dont have chickens i have pigs with feathers lol they eat evvverything theyre pretty handy garbage disposals lol

7. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Eggactly all my other girls dive right in like there is no tomorrow and these 2 well they just turns up their beaks. They are just going to have to face the facts this is what they are eating lmao
    Just like 2 stubborn children [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by