1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do silkies grow 10 times slower?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchik715, Mar 26, 2011.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    My silkies are a week old and do not seem much bigger than when i got them. All my other chicks seems to grow overnight but the silkies don't seem to be growing the same? Is this usual?

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Yep it is, silkies are a smaller bird and they'll grow slower than others.

3. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    are all silkies bantams or are they just small?

4. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    Silkies are a bantam chicken. I just love them . I have 2 black silkie hens. My roosters are full size cochins . I have a silkie that is broodie and I have let her sit on only on her and her "sisters" eggs . It will be interesting to see what hatches .
    I was soo excited this am as one chick was hatched about 1/2 out of the egg ( a week earlier then expected ,but I had a family emergency when they started "collecting" their cluch so I could be WAY off) I went in to get things prepared , to move mama /nestbox and eggs into my laundry room . I went back within 15 minutes and some he or she DEVILS must have eaten my baby! 4 hens were piled on the nest box , I had to pick them off of mama and the sweet wee one was MIA. Totally...... shell and all. I searched low all over , gently moved wood chips to make sure it wasn't buried anywhere on the floor or in the box....no luck finding the baby.
    Now mama and 8 soon to be chicks are tucked SAFELY in a kennel in my laundry room out of harms way. Gosh I hate it when that stuff happens [​IMG]

Tina

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Yes, they grow and mature much slower. A hatchery quality silkie will grow and mature faster than a Breeder or Show Quality Silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by