Do silkies naturally smell

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Its not a bad small and mine are not sick and are very happy and healthy but I have noticed a smell coming from them. I make sure they dont have stuck poo and I dont bath them unless they are dirty, but bathing them with water gently only intensifies the smell. Does anybody know what causes chicken smell?

I assume looking at the plumage of silkies as I have never had silkies for that reason is that they would suffer from what wet dogs get - wet dog smell.
A dog that gets wet jut starts to smell musky and I'd presume it's the same for silkies. Sorry if my observations are not fitting as I've never had silkies but the care guides I have read (and which put me off getting any) all mention you have to keep silkies bone dry. Even them walking through mud is enough to get their feet wet and can cause frostbite in winter and I presume a bad smell in summer.

I assume looking at the plumage of silkies as I have never had silkies for that reason is that they would suffer from what wet dogs get - wet dog smell.
A dog that gets wet jut starts to smell musky and I'd presume it's the same for silkies. Sorry if my observations are not fitting as I've never had silkies but the care guides I have read (and which put me off getting any) all mention you have to keep silkies bone dry. Even them walking through mud is enough to get their feet wet and can cause frostbite in winter and I presume a bad smell in summer.
Oh your right. After my silkies dist bathe a little it gets a little better. Some days I smell them and they stink a little other days I smell them and they smell just fine, but when its about to train and the humidity is high oh god its horrible

Back
Top Bottom