Do Silkies NEED a roost inside their hen house?

Would the silkies use a platform a foot or two off the floor of their coop? I'm thinking that would convert the area that currently has useless perches to a space they might like.

welcome-byc.gif

Hey, hylla! Welcome welcome! How long have you had chickens? What kind?

Do you have any others that don't roost?

My silkies for the most part snuggle on the floor in the corner, but some have taken over the nest boxes and group together in there at night. The nest box are only a foot off the floor for them.

Thank you, PossumQueen.
All the other chickens roost. There are RI Reds, NH Reds, Delawares, Barred Rocks, Ameraucanas, Sex Links, California Whites, few Seabrights, Buff Orpingtons, Marans, Wyandottes, Barnvelders... couple Cochins. The Silkies have their own coop and run and we will let them raise any fertile eggs so people can see the whole life cycle. There's a large educational component to www.GreenStringFarm.com.
Okay, this is more than you wanted to know ;-)
Finally, I have to say that Rob Ludlow did a fabulous, professional and welcoming book talk ten days ago in Sonoma. Book him for your local bookstore and spread the word that he's a terrific speaker!

What chicks do you keep?

I only have a silkie Roo, was supposed to be a hen. He roost with the others. I do not know why he does, but he started doing it and I did nothing to discourage him!

My three silkies (one hen and two roos) roost high up on the perch with the rest of the flock... I have no idea how they get way up there LOL! But every night, there they are.

They used to huddle on the floor until the new, older girls showed them what to do.

I guess silkies are individual in their habits?

Thank you to all and thanks for the welcome! Marcy napped for almost two hours on me today and I thought of holding a mirror by her face to be sure she was still breathing. Of course she is fine and I am in Silkie heaven from the cuddles.

Back
Top Bottom