Do silkies roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyo Chick, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be a silly question, but do Silkies like to roost? My silkies were hatched and raised in a dog house. They seem to prefer sleeping in there. I thought they would follow the other chickens into the chicken house and roost with them. Maybe the other chickens are intimidating them and won't let them in the house.

2. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    im not sure but I have a 13 week old silkie who doesnt like to roost. she prefers to sleep on the ground too.

3. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Mine do! Took them a few weeks to start after I got them but now they are 1st in and up top every night.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My 2 silkies were raised with other breeds and sizes of chicks. They had little sticks to roost on in the brooder about a foot high. They are 17 weeks old now and have always roosted in the chicken barn. Usually they roost from 2 to 4 feet up on shelves, gates, or roosts.

5. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster is the only one that roosts. The others all sleep on the ground.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:x2. My Silkie roo would roost, the hens would sleep in a feather pile on the coop floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by