Do some chick problems just work out or do I have a handicapped chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tracylhl, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I have one that I had to help out of it's shell today. It had part of a wing sticking out and nothing else and couldn't get out further. Now that wing (left) seems to hang down instead of in the correct position. He also has his right foot turned inward. Can't stand on his own. He can stand for a minute once I get his feet under him but that's it. Then he flops. His right eye is still closed too. Still has membranes stuck to him as he was shrink-wrapped (pipped for over 36 hrs.) . Am I going to end up having to cull him or do they sometimes just gain strength and pull it together (for lack of a better term)? He hatched out about 4 1/2 hrs ago.

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldn't cull just yet. I'd give him at leat 24 hours. The wing problem could be due to sticky membrane stuck to it and drying stiff. You could try to blot its eye gently with a warm damp paper towel- it might be stuck closed . The foot can possibly be straightened out with a little boot or splint- if you do a search on spraddle leg, there will be examples.
    You dont have to worry about them eating the first day, but I would try to get it to drink a little and possible eat a little also.Then wait and see what happens.

3. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Well, he's doing better. Both eyes are open and he's standing and walking. Wing is still droopy and right foot is still turned in. Off to learn about splints for his leg.

4. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I have a crip chick...can't use one leg..i'm not going to cull, letting nature takes it course. shes over 2wks old now and doing just fine [​IMG]

5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:I'm also a firm believer in letting mother nature do her thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by