Do some hens not lay? Help.

Some chickens take a long time to begin. Others will lay fine, molt, then not lay again or much.

we Had Feb hatch dark brown leghorns (from an exhibition line). So they were BEAUTIFUL, but clearly bred for show and not for their egg laying capabilities, but they were Leghorns!!! The three girls were part of several breeds we bought at same time from same place, but most of the others were not exhibition lines. 1st DBL laid at around 36 weeks, next at approx 44 weeks, the third had not yet laid at 45 weeks when we sold them. The breeder did indicate they were bred for show, not laying capability. The others bought at same time began to lay between 20-24 weeks old.

days are short. Next week days begin to lengthen. This will impact the bird’s pineal gland in their head and they will begin to get the egg process going once the days are consistently lengthening. Even blind birds will be impacted by daylight length bc of their pineal gland.

hope you get an egg soon!

How could she be laying when she obviously is not even able to feed herself the necessary amount to gain a healthy weight? I would not expect an egg from her in a long time, if any at all.
I don’t expect her to lay. Mostly just disappointed and feel bad that it’s so severe. I have to trim her beak every so many weeks or she can’t eat at all.
We have another pullet with a minor beak issue. She too needs it trimmed or she can’t eat, but she has been laying nearly every day this month. I was very surprised.

I also have a "faker". Bluebell would sometimes sit on the nest and sing an egg song, but didn't lay until she was a year old. Then she laid every 3 or 4 days for a period of maybe 6 weeks, and quit again. She's almost 2 now, and I haven't had an egg from her in months. I'm wondering if she'll lay again for 6 weeks in the spring?

Back
Top Bottom