Do the chickens need free access to coop if they are spending the day in the run?

cloverchick

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Do the chickens need free access to the coop if they are spending the day in the run?

If they are out in the run during the day, will they want to go lay eggs or nest? I want to know if we have to have a mini run between the coop and run.

Since egg laying takes place at different times of the day, yes, they need access to their nest boxes. Unless you don't care if they lay in the run, they may not be to pleased about that however! Mine have access to their coop at all times and they spend quite a bit of time in there during the day, off and on. They go in to eat/drink and take a morning and afternoon nap, as well as when it's time to lay an egg. They also need to have the option to go inside when they feel the need to get out of the weather.

Last edited:
Ours have their food and water in the run; but, they still go in and out of the coop throughout the day. No clue what they are doing in there; but, from time to time we'll look out and nary a chicken to be found....they've all gone into the coop for whatever reason chickens come up with. Then down the ramp they come and start playing chicken chase with whatever shiny they've discovered. Then - whoops - back into the coop...it's rather amusing, actually. But, yeah - I'd say they need access to their coop throughout the day.

I agree, they need to be able to go lay if they want to or just be nosy. My run is attached to my coop and when I let them free range I leave the run door open so they have free run of the whole hill side.

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

They will want access to the coop to lay, and should have access in case a predator starts terrorizing them in the run. Welcome to BYC.

This is great. Now that I have actually let them out to free range, I can see how they come and go out of the coop. It's one thing to read about what they will do and it's another to observe them. I learn something new about them everyday!

Back
Top Bottom