do the eggs taste funy when preserved in hydrated lime

How many eggs? Sorry, there is no hard formula. Depends on your family consumption and your chickens breed/age. I filled and used a 2gal bucket for one person, but those were older birds who took a longer break. Some hens will continue to lay into the winter, particularly first year birds.

I don't recall if I tried to hard boil them. Easy enough to test with your eggs. Just try a couple and see how you like the result.

The 18 months claim is from a YouTube video. That video is very good and is the procedure that I used.

Here is a follow-up video where she used eggs packed 8 months earlier:

Edit- Looks like she put out a 3rd video with a FAQ:

Last edited:
That's the same video I used to do my own water-glassing! That good lady is really thorough in her explanations, her results are what made me decide to try the method :) I'm glad it's worked for you, and can't wait to see the results of my own bucket x3

We have been experimenting with the method in the video posted above since May 2020.

so far the results have been great !

I didn't follow part of the instructions exactly because I had a number of eggs that were 1 to 4 weeks old out on the counter so I picked out the cleanest and put them in. If I could brush off any dirt to where the shell wasn't discolored - in it went.

other than that, we followed the instructions and used distilled water from the store.

so far out of maybe 100 eggs I've gotten 3 that were bad. the rest have been good.

now - good is not the same as a fresh egg. things I've noticed and learned are ok are:
- the whites are runnier. the eggs will spread out in the pan more
- for some reason they seem to "stick" in the shell and if I dump them out of the shell too fast, the yolk will break. But I've learned to pour them out of the shell very slowly and that isn't happening anymore
- the whites sometimes appear a little yellow

all of those 3 properties are different than our "fresh" eggs, but the taste is nearly identical.

if I can figure out how to get to this on my phone I can add some pictures next time I break open some.

I wouldn't bother with distilled water. It is an extra expense and people have used this system for hundreds of years (or longer). Just use clean drinking water.

@TooCheep - Distilled water is probably proposed for people who live in areas where drinking from the kitchen tap isn't recommended. Otherwise sure, clean drinking water is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom