Do these babies look okay?

JessRenee

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
Today we finally got our first chicks, 13 total. They had a 45 minuet car ride home with the heat on in the car, now they have been home for 2 hours and they’re all huddled under my heat plate. I’m assuming from being in the car so long they’re huddled for warmth and are probably tired. This looks normal right? When should I be concerned?
First picture is how they look when I remove the heat source for a few seconds. Does it look to be the correct height? I have it on a slant so they can choose how close they wanna be.
This is my first experience with chickens and even though I have done a lot of research over the last few months I tend to overthink things 😅

Attachments

• 2AB5271C-331D-4715-B9D5-27BCD98C1001.jpeg
    2AB5271C-331D-4715-B9D5-27BCD98C1001.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 7
  • 2E666CAB-0770-4763-BA1D-5EFF2444B7B4.jpeg
    2E666CAB-0770-4763-BA1D-5EFF2444B7B4.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 5
Today we finally got our first chicks, 13 total. They had a 45 minuet car ride home with the heat on in the car, now they have been home for 2 hours and they’re all huddled under my heat plate. I’m assuming from being in the car so long they’re huddled for warmth and are probably tired. This looks normal right? When should I be concerned?
First picture is how they look when I remove the heat source for a few seconds. Does it look to be the correct height? I have it on a slant so they can choose how close they wanna be.
This is my first experience with chickens and even though I have done a lot of research over the last few months I tend to overthink things 😅
I've never used a heat plate. I use a lamp with a thermostat. My 4 day old chick's have not huddled at all. They are very actively eating and chasing.if you give them a place to hide, they will.

They look fine. If they were cold they'd be peeping a plaintive peep that would rip your heart out, when you hear it you know something is wrong. If they were hot they'd be scattered.

With my broody hens the chicks seem to spend a lot of time under the hen the first couple of days. After that they do a lot of running around. Don't be surprised if they rest a lot in a warm spot for a day or two.

Your next panic is when you see them laying on the brooder sprawled out and and looking dead. When they relax they really relax. So when you see that try to not panic. If you want you can touch one to watch it jump up and run around. That will not hurt it.

Oh my goodness I miss the new babies! That huddled picture is precious! 😍

Agree that slightly raising one side of the plate will give them the option to go toward the lower hotter side or the less hot higher side. Keep an eye out to make sure they eat & drink. If you haven’t, might want to dip their beak in water so they know where it is.

Some people don’t, but I always leave a night light on in the room they are in the first few nights in case they need food or water and can’t find their way back to the plate in the dark. After 2 days, I let darkness happen naturally.

Where did you get your floofy little chicks?

I agree with all above and second the barnyard chaos advice of raising the plate. They should be able to stand under it.

Oh, and mine LOVED to climb up on top of the plate instead of under it, which is so so much messier.

Just make sure they figure out what food & water bowls are.... Otherwise they eat bedding (pecking is the instinct)

Back
Top Bottom