Do these coop plans look good

I don't think it really works out better when some birds have to take lower roosts. The low birds hate it and tend to keep trying for higher.
We have a few different setups here, and the most peaceful flock is the one with enough room on the top roost that everyone can sleep there. The bossy ones just clear a space around them, the under-birds sit together (there is enough length to provide room for that).
In the shed with both high and low roosts, there is a nightly shrieking and flapping and disturbed warning calls upsetting everyone, because someone tried to fly up higher and got pushed down. It's very dramatic. And persistent, it doesn't seem like established pecking order makes a difference in how high they will aim for.
At least, that has been my experience. So same-level roosts are on my must-have list for coops.
That's great! Parallel roosts actually will be much more practical for my existing infrastructure, plus it will give more space between the roost and the ventilation. I think I will probably end up building both of them at the lower height (not enough width for a single roost in the coop).

That's great! Parallel roosts actually will be much more practical for my existing infrastructure, plus it will give more space between the roost and the ventilation. I think I will probably end up building both of them at the lower height (not enough width for a single roost in the coop).

Just make sure that they're higher than the nests and it should be good.

Back
Top Bottom