Do they all change this much?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tomato lady, Sep 5, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Here are two pics of my EE roo, Stewart.

This is Stewart a little younger, can't remember exactly what age, maybe about 10 weeks.
    [​IMG]

This is Stewart at 15 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Do all roos change that much as they mature? What color would you call him?

2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I dunno, but that's one pretty bird![​IMG]

3. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

Both of mine did. Beautiful young rooster!

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That's amazing. If you had shown us those pics and told us they were of two different chickens, I would have believed you.

Take more pics later!

5. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Shortly after I took the first picture he started getting little red spots on his back. Then, he started growing those yellow feathers on his neck. He just kept sprouting new colors. You can't see it in the pic., but he has a patch of dark purple feathers on each side.

He still has some of the barred feathers he had when he was young, and his grey beard and muffs. I would not have believed it was the same bird if I hadn't watched it happen over about a 1 month period. He is not friendly at all, but he is not mean either. The only time I can touch him is when he is roosting. Even then he complains.

He looks like he is going to be a very sturdy bird. My other two roos are both Polish so they have a way lighter frame.

6. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    I've heard they can look like a totally different bird after the first adult molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by