Do they ever talk

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I must say I knew turkeys were vocal but. The second they see my truck pull in the drive way the talk that goes on is crazy. And they come running and flapping more than any other bird I have seen.

I have been trying to upload pic's but I keep getting an error that improper format even though they are all .JPEG's.

Yep! I had a little turkey hen once, and she fell in love with our car. She would sit next to it, run after it when we left, and start vocalizing quite loudly when we got home.

Ours have a complete language. It includes some of the phrases translated below but it might be Thai turkey language rather than English.

He's got bananas

Move over on the perch, little 'un

Get off, she's mine

That's a small bird

That's a 747

That's might be dangerous, let's go to look

There's the cat, let's go scare her

What are you, my look-alike, doing in the steel water tank?

WE WANT FOOD

Get away from my nest

And so on

Quote:
I'll add that to my research about laying patterns. I just need a sponsor to fly me around the world with a video camera and sound recorder.

The tom's famous call is probably universal. I am often asked in the mom and pop shop across the road to do my near perfect imitation. The locals all fall over laughing at me but it's worth a beer or too.

My wife calls bedtime to them in Thai and they respond, sometimes. Perhaps they are multi=lingual. This world tour could take some time.

Mine like to sit on the front step when I have the door open and take a nap. They have a snoring sound that they make that sounds like the coo made by a mourning dove. I was sitting here reading the news on the computer the other day with four Bourbon hens snoring on the porch and they almost put ME to sleep with that sound.

My turkeys are that way but so are my guineas! They are funny because they know the difference between mine and my wifes cars. They don't care when she drives up but when they see me, they come running. Sometimes the guineas are a couple hundred yards from the house and go airborn and fly to me. Turkeys and guineas are 100X more entertaining than chickens!

Quote:
I agree!! I was SO in love with my chickens but we'd only had BB white turkeys prior to that and they just weren't all that interesting to me or I didn't bother to get too close to them knowing that they were going in the freezer but when we got our first heritage turks I really fell head over heels for my turkeys. They now reign supreme here on the farm.....but don't tell the chickens that.

I sure agree about the heritage breeds! I had my poults in with my guinea keets and not they all think they are "something." Cant decide if it is turkey or guinea....they all hang out together and when I am sitting in the yard having morning coffee they wait by the fence until I let them out and then make circles around me. Maybe I should serve them some coffee too? They are very funny to watch right now that they have their adult bodies; I think they are still getting used to them--heard my first gobble last week and he looked so startled like, "that cam out of me???!!" Now to try and make them a place or winter (and get them into it!) they have been roosting in the trees since they learned to fly out of the dog kennel!
Terri O

Back
Top Bottom