Do they have to have layer pellets?

AMChandler

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Missouri
Our chickens free range during the day, all day, and we have some corn scratch in the coop. Almost out of scratch, do I need to get them layer pellets? They just started laying eggs, although I haven't eaten them yet. They also get fruit and veg and bread scraps.

Last edited:
Depends. For optimal health yes you want to offer layer feed. To do otherwise would require the hens to rob their own bodies stores of nutrients to produce eggs on days when their foraging hasn't been all that great.

Just MHO.
smile.png

ETA: I have two free range flocks. Both flocks have a feed suitable for layers available in their coops at all times.

Last edited:
Short answer? Yes. If they are as efficient at feeding off the range as you suspect, the cost will be minimal. A small serving of pellets in the evenings, an amount they can consume within 30 minutes, is the sure fire way of getting maximum production out of them. Frankly, the corn is mere starch calories and after ranging, I don't really see the point, more often than once a week for something special.

We've noticed that they don't seem to be eating much of the scratch anymore and prefer to wander around during the day. They put themselves up at dusk. Lately theyve been putting themselves to bed in a bush next to the driveway, so we have to collect them and put them in the coop! So I guess I'll get the pellets and have them out in the coop instead of the scratch.

Back
Top Bottom