1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do they NEED bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickencity, Mar 27, 2008.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My chicks have become very active and are tearing up the newspaper and then chasing each other around with it. they do the same thing with the shavings. do i have to put ib bedding. the floor of the brooder is plastic.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I use pine shavings after the first week. You need to use paper towels so they can get some footing and not come down with spradle leg. They have a ball with the pine shavings. Keeps them busy. John

3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I put a small layer of small animal bedding that we used for our hamsters.. it's not pine, it's actually like ripped up paper towels, very fluffy and the chicks seem to love cuddling up with each other in a pile of it.
    We are moving the babies to a large rubbermaid container this weekend, and we will be using pine shavings in that.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You also want bedding to help absorb the poop. Otherwise their dirty little feet will track it everywhere!

5. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    ok ill leave it in there. i was just worried that they would get over worked or get hurt runing around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by