Do they need chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pam Allan, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    After hunting for days I finally was able to follow a broody hen back to the nest where I switched out the eggs with infertile ones. 3 weeks later after I assume she has been "brooding" the infertile eggs I was taking her food and water and hear a peeping noise. Sure enough there is a baby. Apparently a snake ate the eggs I had placed there and one of the other hens laid another egg for her to brood. Since I only have the one baby (which I pray to God isn't a rooster) do I HAVE to buy chick food? I hate getting a 25-bag of the stuff just for one baby. But I want it to be healthy so I'll wait to hear back from the experts....[​IMG]

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I always feed my incubated chicks chick feed. BUT My free range broody Sumatra's mainly feed their little fuzzy butts bugs, grubs, grass etc. They stop at the chick feeder morning and night, but the rest of the day they free range eating what mama Sumatra finds for them.

So I guess it depends on your situation. Are mama and little one free ranging or in a chicken tractor?

I'm sure this will be wildly unpopular with the masses, but if they are free range, or in a chicken tractor, and they were my chickens..... I wouldn't buy 25 lbs for 1 little peeper. I have over 60 Sumatra's, most born from free range Broody hens. And all of the free range ones mainly ate what nature provided, and all are strong healthy chickens.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The thing is, what the chick doesn't need is layer; it is harmful to organs. I'd buy starter, grower or flock raiser and feed it to everyone. I'd get the feeder that has the layer high enough that the chick can't get at it (although if momma raises the chick, she will feed it some of the layer.) And I'd have a separate container of oyster shell. Hopefully the chick won't get enough of the layer to do any harm before it's used up. If the mama is really filling the chick up with the layer, you might have to get creative to be sure it's eaten only by the laying hens.

I don't even buy layer any more, just one of the others and the oyster shell.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can buy very small bags of chick feed at most farm stores (Tractor Supply, Southern States, etc.) in 4or 5 lb bags usually Chick Manna or Manna Pro brand in a green and yellow bag. I'm sure you can also order it online or have the store order it. Everybody had it in stock during chick days last spring.

5. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I didn't realize Tractor Supply had smaller bags. The chick is free ranging with mama and I feed her scratch - that's all I buy for the chickens. I give them wheat bread which they LOVE and give them watermelon and other fruits and sometimes a dove seed mixture on the ground to just scratch around and eat. Thanks for the info.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by